You’ll need a budget of £3,000-£5,000 for your solar hot water project. How much your project will end up costing will depend on the size and type of system you go for and your property’s location.
Different solar hot water installers will charge different amounts to fit your solar system. This is because different companies have different overheads that they need to pay for. Here are some typical prices to give you a general idea of how much you might end up spending:
|Solar hot water system||Approx. cost (inc. purchase and installation)|
|Evacuated tube solar panels||£3,000-£5,000|
|Solar flat plate collectors||£3,000-£5,000|
It’s worthwhile to get several quotes for your solar hot water project. This will give you an accurate idea of the current market rate and how much you’ll end up spending.
Use our service to start your project and get up to 4 quotes from solar hot water installers in your area.
Advantages and disadvantages
- Save £50 per year compared with gas heating
- Save 270kg carbon dioxide per year compared with gas heating
- Get hot water all year round
- Earn between £200-485 per year from the RHI
- You may need a backup heater in winter to get your water to reach the right temperature
- Solar hot water systems are not compatible with combi boilers
- You won’t save as much money on your hot water bill with solar thermal compared with your electric bill and solar PV (solar electricity)