The London Borough of Lewisham is a London borough in south-east London, England and forms a part of Inner London. The borough wascreated in 1965, by the London Government Act 1963, as an amalgamation of the former area of the Metropolitan Borough of Lewisham and also the Metropolitan Borough of Deptford, which had been created in 1900 as divisions of the County of London. Nevertheless, minor boundary modifications have occurred since its creation. One of the most considerable amendments were made in 1996, when the previous area of the Royal Docks in Deptford was transferred from the London Borough of Greenwich.
The principal settlement of the borough is Lewisham. The borough covers an overall area of around 13.57 square miles. It is surrounded by the Royal Borough of Greenwich to the east, the London Borough of Bromley towards the south plus the London Borough of Southwark towards the west. The River Thames forms a short section of northern boundary together with the Isle of Dogs within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. Deptford Creek, Pool River, River Quaggy and River Ravensbourne pass by way of the borough.
In line with population estimates produced during 2014, Lewisham is a borough with roughly 291933 permanent residents. Main landmarks consist of All Saints Church in Blackheath, the Citibank Tower in Lewisham and Dietrich Bonhoeffer Church. The Prime Meridian passes through Lewisham. Blackheath, Goldsmiths, University of London and Millwall F.C. are positioned inside the borough.