Kington is a market community, electoral ward as well as civil church in Herefordshire, England. According to the Church, the ward had a population of 3,240 while the 2011 census had a population of 2,626. The name 'Kington' is originated from King's-heap, being Anglo-Saxon for "King's Town", similar to other nearby towns such as Presteigne significance "Priest's Town" as well as Knighton being "Knight's Town". Kington is to the west of Offa's Dyke so most likely this land was Welsh in the 8th century AD. The land was held by Anglo-Saxons in 1066, but devastated. After the Norman Conquest Kington then passed to the Crown on the failure of Roger de Breteuil, second Earl of Hereford in 1075. Before 1121 King Henry I gave Kington to Adam de Port, that established a brand-new Marcher barony in this part of the very early Welsh Marches. Kington seems to have been a silent barony and was related to the workplace of constable of Hereford. In 1172, Adam de Port, possibly the great-grandson of Henry Port, rebelled and took off the country. He returned in 1174 with a Scottish military, only to take off from the resulting Battle of Alnwick to the excellent mirth of the Norman court. With this his barony of Kington was taken by the Crown and also ended up being an appurtenance of the workplace of Sheriff of Hereford, ultimately being granted to William de Braose, 4th Lord of Bramber in 1203 for £100. The castle after that saw activity in the Braose Wars versus King John of England and was most likely to have been damaged by imperial forces in August 1216. Within a few years a new fortress was started and the close-by Huntington Castle and also Kington Castle were deserted. All that remains of Kington Castle today is a fantastic outcrop of rock covered by a couple of fragmentary earthworks. The old town clustered around the castle and also Norman church in addition to a protective hill above the River Arrow. St Mary's church, located on greater ground over the community centre. 'Chingtune' was recorded in the Domesday Publication in 1086, the name meaning Kings Town or Manor, high on the hill above the town where St. Mary's Church now stands. The brand-new Kington, called Kyneton in the Fields, was set out between 1175 and 1230 on land surrounding the River Arrow as well as potentially marked as part of the Saxon open field system. Positioned on the direct route the drovers took from Hergest Ridge as well as with eight yearly fairs, Kington grew in value as a market community and there is still a prospering livestock market on Thursdays. The town keeps the middle ages grid pattern of roads and back lanes. In the chapel of St. Mary's Church, there is the alabaster burial place of Sir Thomas Vaughan of close-by Hergest Court, slaughtered at the Battle of Banbury 1469, as well as his other half, Elen Gethin. The ghost of Sir Thomas, as well as also that of the Black Dog of Hergest are said to haunt the location around Hergest Ridge. The Black Dog's discovery reputedly presages fatality. It is likewise rumoured to have actually been the prototype for The Hound of the Baskervilles as Conan Doyle is understood to have remained at close-by Hergest Hall quickly prior to he wrote the story.