Barnes is a district in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. It's in the north east of the borough and is positioned 5.8 miles west south west of Charing Cross.
Barnes has a lot of 18th and 1800s buildings in the streets close to Barnes Pond, which make up Barnes Village conservation area where the majority of the mid-19th century buildings are found. On the east riverside, there is the WWT London Wetland Centre which adjoins several fields for 3 main national team sports.
The town had been a part of Surrey, and it appears within the Domesday book as ‘Berne’. Barnes’ village church was constructed between 1100 and 1150 and named the Chapel of St Mary’s. It was extended during the early 13th century, and was added to again in 1786. A huge fire destroyed components of the extensions to the church in 1978, so restoration work was performed in 1984.
Barnes includes a great deal of sporting history spanning decades. In football, a High Master of St Paul’s School, Richard Mulcaster, is recognised with turning mob football into a refereed team sport. The school sits on Lonsdale Road, but in the time of Mulcaster it was situated in St Paul’s Cathedral. The town includes a non-league football club referred to as Stonewall FC, who play at Barn Elms Playing Fields.
Barnes Rugby Club is known to be the oldest club in the world in any football code. They play next to the WWT London Wetlands Centre. The town is also recognised for rowing; the loop of the Thames surrounding Barnes is part of the Championship Course made use of for the Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race.