Gainsborough is a town in the West Lindsey area in the English county of Lincolnshire. In accordance with the 2011 census, it has a population of 18508. It can be located 18 miles north west from the city and county town of Lincoln, and the River Trent passes through the town. The civil parish spreads southwards over rural land to Lea and passes along the edge of Lea Wood. The town is located on the meeting point of the A631, the A156 and A159. Aspiring to connect the A15 at Caenby Corner, Gainsborough's dual carriageway, known as 'Thorndike Way', is named after Dame Sybil Thorndike, an actress born in the town in 1855. Gainsborough was an established and substantial port with trade to Hull, and was the most inland port in England, being situated 55 miles from the North Sea. The town also has a well-established history of industry. Specifically, the town was the production base of Marshall, Sons and Co., which worked as an essential boiler manufacturer established by William Marshall in 1848. The business was located at Britannia Ironworks, a site of 16 acres and the largest in Europe when it was first constructed. Their goods were transported on a worldwide scale before its closure in the 1980s. The site has since been divided in between multiple companies, offering inhabitants a wide variety of regional and nationwide shops. Numerous landmarks have actually been formally acknowledged throughout the years. Whitton's Mill flats won the Royal Town Planning Institute award for the East Midlands, and Marshall's Yard gained an award for regeneration. For all of your home upgrades, make certain to make use of trustworthy professionals in Gainsborough to make certain of quality.