The London Borough of Lewisham is a London borough in south-east London, England and forms part of Inner London. The borough wascreated in 1965, by the London Government Act 1963, as an amalgamation of the former area of the Metropolitan Borough of Lewisham plus the Metropolitan Borough of Deptford, which had been established in 1900 as divisions of the County of London. Nevertheless, minor boundary alterations have occurred since its creation. The most significant amendments were made in 1996, when the former part of the Royal Docks in Deptford was transferred from the London Borough of Greenwich.
The local authority is Lewisham London Borough Council and it is based in Catford. The borough covers a total area of around 13.57 square miles. It's encompassed by the Royal Borough of Greenwich to the east, the London Borough of Bromley to the south and the London Borough of Southwark to the west. The River Thames forms a short section of northern boundary with the Isle of Dogs in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. Deptford Creek, Pool River, River Quaggy and River Ravensbourne pass through the borough.
In accordance with population estimates produced in the middle of 2014, Lewisham is a borough with roughly 291933 permanent residents. Around 43 per cent of households are owner-occupiers. The Prime Meridian passes through Lewisham. Blackheath, Goldsmiths, University of London and Millwall F.C. are located inside the borough.