Kings Langley is a historical village and also civil church in Hertfordshire, England, 21 miles (34 kilometres) northwest of central London to the south of the Chiltern Hills and now part of the London commuter belt. The town is split in between 2 city government districts by the River Gade with the bigger western portion in the District of Dacorum and smaller sized part, to the eastern of the river, in Three Rivers Area. It was once the place of Kings Langley Palace, an imperial palace of the Plantagenet kings of England. The 12th century parish church of All Saints' houses the burial place of Edmund of Langley (1341-- 1402), the first Duke of York. It is 2 miles (3.2 km) south of Hemel Hempstead and also 2 miles (3.2 km) north of Watford. The place-name Langley is first confirmed below in a Saxon charter of circa 1050, where it appears as Langalega. It is led to Langelai in the Domesday Book of 1086, and is recorded as Langel' Regis in 1254. The name means 'long wood or clearing up'.