Kington is a market town, selecting ward and civil church in Herefordshire, England. According to the Church, the ward had a population of 3,240 while the 2011 census had a population of 2,626. The name 'Kington' is stemmed from King's-lot, being Anglo-Saxon for "King's Community", comparable to other close-by communities such as Presteigne significance "Priest's Town" as well as Knighton being "Knight's Town". Kington is to the west of Offa's Dyke so presumably this land was Welsh in the 8th century AD. The land was held by Anglo-Saxons in 1066, but devastated. After the Norman Conquest Kington after that passed to the Crown on the failure of Roger de Breteuil, second Earl of Hereford in 1075. Prior To 1121 King Henry I offered Kington to Adam de Port, who founded a new Marcher barony in this part of the very early Welsh Marches. Kington seems to have actually been a peaceful barony as well as was related to the office of constable of Hereford. In 1172, Adam de Port, most likely the great-grandson of Henry Port, rebelled as well as took off the country. He returned in 1174 with a Scottish military, just to run away from the resulting Battle of Alnwick to the fantastic mirth of the Norman court. With this his barony of Kington was taken by the Crown as well as became an appurtenance of the workplace of Sheriff of Hereford, finally being provided to William de Braose, fourth Lord of Bramber in 1203 for £100. The castle then saw action in the Braose Wars against King John of England and was most likely to have actually been ruined by royal forces in August 1216. Within a few years a new fortress was commenced and also the neighboring Huntington Castle and also Kington Castle were deserted. All that stays of Kington Castle today is an excellent outcrop of rock topped by a few fragmentary earthworks. The old town gathered around the castle as well as Norman church on top of a protective hill over the River Arrow. St Mary's church, positioned on greater ground above the town centre. 'Chingtune' was recorded in the Domesday Publication in 1086, the name significance Kings Town or Manor, high on capital above the community where St. Mary's Church currently stands. The new Kington, called Kyneton in the Fields, was outlined between 1175 as well as 1230 ashore surrounding the River Arrow and also perhaps designated as part of the Saxon open area system. Located on the direct route the drovers drew from Hergest Ridge and with eight yearly fairs, Kington expanded in relevance as a market town and there is still a thriving livestock market on Thursdays. The community preserves the medieval grid pattern of streets and also back lanes. In the chapel of St. Mary's Church, there is the alabaster tomb of Sir Thomas Vaughan of close-by Hergest Court, slaughtered at the Battle of Banbury 1469, as well as his partner, Elen Gethin. The ghost of Sir Thomas, and likewise that of the Black Dog of Hergest are stated to haunt the area around Hergest Ridge. The Black Dog's sighting reputedly presages death. It is likewise rumoured to have been the prototype for The Hound of the Baskervilles as Conan Doyle is known to have actually stayed at nearby Hergest Hall soon prior to he wrote the book.