The London Borough of Lewisham is a London borough in south-east London, England and forms part of Inner London. The borough wasformed in 1965, by the London Government Act 1963, as an amalgamation of the former area of the Metropolitan Borough of Lewisham and the Metropolitan Borough of Deptford, which had been established in 1900 as divisions of the County of London. However, minor boundary adjustments have occurred since its creation. The most considerable amendments were made in 1996, when the former area of the Royal Docks in Deptford was transferred from the London Borough of Greenwich.
The principal settlement of the borough is Lewisham. The borough covers a total area of roughly 13.57 square miles. It's enclosed by the Royal Borough of Greenwich towards the east, the London Borough of Bromley towards the south along with the London Borough of Southwark to the west. The River Thames forms a short section of northern boundary with the Isle of Dogs within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. Deptford Creek, Pool River, River Quaggy and River Ravensbourne pass by means of the borough.
Based on population estimates made in the middle of 2014, Lewisham is a borough with around 291933 permanent residents. Key landmarks consist of All Saints Church in Blackheath, the Citibank Tower in Lewisham and Dietrich Bonhoeffer Church. The Prime Meridian passes through Lewisham. Blackheath, Goldsmiths, University of London and Millwall F.C. are situated inside the borough.