Oil boiler repairs & servicing
Keeping your oil boiler in tip-top condition is vital if you want it to be as efficient as it can be while it works to keep your home warm. One of the best things you can do is to have an oil boiler service every year to check that everything is working correctly. But unfortunately, as your boiler gets older things will start to go wrong and you might need to have your oil boiler repaired.
Oil boiler servicing
An oil boiler service won’t take an engineer long. You should always use an OFTEC qualified engineer to work on your oil boiler as they have the right training and qualifications to work on your boiler. An oil boil service should take about an hour; the engineer will:
- Take a look at the boiler, the oil tank and all the pipes to ensure they’re all in good condition and meet current safety regulations
- Check and clean out the flue and use a flue gas analyser to check combustion
- Check for water in the oil tank
- Remove the boiler casing and clean all the internal parts
- Test all safety systems to ensure they’re working properly
A good engineer should also ask you if you’ve had any problems with your oil boiler since the last service, and investigate them if they deem necessary.
Why should I have my oil boiler serviced?
You should have your oil boiler serviced every year to prevent any safety issues as well as any costly repairs. Lots of people think that an oil boiler service isn’t worth it, but there are 3 key reasons why it’s important to get your boiler serviced yearly:
- Safety Oil boilers, just like gas boilers, can give off harmful carbon monoxide if there is a fault that’s not picked up. During a service an engineer will check for leaks to ensure that your boiler is safe.
- Efficiency Without regular servicing, oil boilers will become less efficient. If they aren’t cleaned and inspected, they can end up needing to use more oil to get to temperature and keep it there. During a service, the engineer will clean out all the soot to ensure that it stays as efficient as possible and will cost you less in fuel.
- Breakdown prevention If you don’t keep your oil boiler regularly maintained, it’s more likely to break down and need costly repairs. If you service your boiler every year, an engineer may be able to spot problems before they become a large issue that costs a lot to fix.
Oil boiler repairs
As oil boilers get older, they’ll probably have things go wrong with them. Luckily, a lot of minor things can be repaired, so there’s no need to worry about having to replace your boiler the first time it goes wrong. With regular servicing, you can keep repairs to a minimum, but when they are required you’ll be able to target the problem and prevent the need of a replacement.
Why should I get my oil boiler repaired?
Even if you think the issue with your oil boiler is a small one that can be left, it’s best that you don’t. Not only could it end up turning into a much larger problem that costs a lot to fix, or even worse means that you require a new boiler, but you could cause harm to yourself and your family. Some problems with oil boilers can cause lethal carbon monoxide (CO) to leak out. You can’t smell carbon monoxide, so it could be leaking into your home without you realising, and can cause flu-like symptoms but even lead to death.
It’s also worth getting your oil boiler repaired because the problem might get worse and eventually cause your boiler to break down. If this happens in the middle of the winter, the chances are that you’ll be freezing and you’ll be waiting a long time before an engineer is available to come out and inspect it.
Will getting my oil boiler serviced or repaired save me money?
It might not seem like it at the time, but it will save you money! By keeping your boiler regularly maintained, you’ll prevent larger problems from occurring that will cost much more to fix. Plus, you’ll have the peace of mind that your oil boiler is safe and isn’t putting you or your family in danger.