A front porch is a glorious addition that would be a blessing to have in any home. It gives you a good floor space to enjoy your neighbourhood as well as your surroundings in the cool atmosphere of the outside living space. The question however is, how do you build a porch? Constructing the structure can be a very challenging task but with proper guidance and lots of practice, you can also be a skilled porch builder. To protect your investment, it’s advisable to hire the services of a professional for help with your porch especially if you lack proper training and experience. This way, you’ll get to save time and money. This guide is prepared to give you some insight into the porch building process.
lAssess Your Location
• Consider the location before proceeding with the project. It’s essential to select a location that’ll reduce the sunlight coming in.
lPlan The Materials Required For Your Porch
• You’ll have to decide the type of porch you’ll be going for. For example, your porch can be built out of wood, composite decking or if it’s going to utilize some stone flooring, brick or even tile.
lBuild Your Porch Foundation
• Dig the foundations deep to ensure stability while also putting in mind any pipework or cabling
• Fit a damp proof course
• Add the subfloor - this can be concrete or timber
lStart To Lay The Brick And Floor
• Lay the bricks evenly up to the DPC level
• Lay the floor
• Add the flooring protection
• Once done, you can lay the bricks to the window level
• You can fit in a window sill if required before proceeding the brick and block work until it reaches the roof timber’s height
• Fit the linter when you get to the top of where the window will reach.
lConstruct The Roof
• Build a timber framework
• Fit a breathable roof membrane
• Install the roof battens and lay the roof tiles.
• Add gutters