Abbey Wood is a district in south east London, in the London Boroughs of Greenwich and Bexley. It's south of Thamesmead and 10.6 miles east of Charing Cross. The district took its name from Lesnes Abbey Woods, which is to the east, and once belonged to the monks of Lesnes Abbey.
The history of the district dates back to the 12th century, when Richard de Luci, Chief Justiciar of England, founded the Abbey of St Mary and St Thomas the Martyr at Lesnes in 1178. The Abbott of Lesnes Abbey was an important local landlord, and took a principal part in draining the marshland. The draining along with the price of preserving river embankments was one of the causes for the Abbey's desperate financial troubles. It never became a large community, and in 1525 Cardinal Wolsey closed it under a licence to shut monasteries of fewer than 7 inmates.
Abbey Wood railway station was opened in 1849, immediately to the north of the area now called 'The Village', constructed where Knee Hill became Harrow Manorway. The Village had around 12 cottages and two pubs - the Abbey Arms as well as the Harrow Inn. The Harrow Inn, which was demolished in 2009, hosted live bands and was the scene of nightly migration as guests would relocate to the Abbey Arms every night, as Kentish closing times were 10:30pm whereas the Abbey Arms closed at 11pm.