Barnes is a district inside the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. It is in the north east of the borough and is positioned 5.8 miles west south west of Charing Cross.
Barnes has lots of 18th and 1800s buildings in the streets near Barnes Pond, which make up Barnes Village conservation area exactly where most of the mid-19th century buildings are situated. Around the east riverside, there's the WWT London Wetland Centre which adjoins several fields for 3 principal national team sports.
The town once was part of Surrey, and it appears inside the Domesday book as ‘Berne’. Barnes’ village church was constructed between 1100 and 1150 and named the Chapel of St Mary’s. It was extended during the early 13th century, and was added to once more in 1786. A big fire destroyed parts of the extensions to the church in 1978, so restoration work was accomplished in 1984.
Barnes includes a great deal of sporting history spanning decades. In football, a High Master of St Paul’s School, Richard Mulcaster, is recognised with turning mob football into a refereed team sport. The school sits on Lonsdale Road, but in the time of Mulcaster it was located in St Paul’s Cathedral. The town has a non-league football club called Stonewall FC, who play at Barn Elms Playing Fields.
Barnes Rugby Club is believed to be the oldest club in the world in any football code. They play next to the WWT London Wetlands Centre. The town is also known for rowing; the loop of the Thames surrounding Barnes is a part of the Championship Course made use of for the Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race.