Barnes is a district in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. It's inside the north east of the borough and is positioned 9.3 km west south west of Charing Cross.
Barnes has lots of eighteenth centu and 19th century buildings in the streets near Barnes Pond, which make up Barnes Village conservation area exactly where a lot of the mid-19th century buildings are placed. Around the east riverside, there is the WWT London Wetland Centre which adjoins numerous fields for three primary national team sports.
The town used to be part of Surrey, and it appears within the Domesday book as ‘Berne’. Barnes’ village church was constructed between 1100 and 1150 and named the Chapel of St Mary’s. It was extended in the early 13th century, and was added to again in 1786. A huge fire destroyed components of the extensions to the chapel in 1978, so restoration work was done in 1984.
Barnes includes a lot of sporting history spanning decades. In football, a High Master of St Paul’s School, Richard Mulcaster, is recognised with turning mob football into a refereed team sport. The school sits on Lonsdale Road, but in the time of Mulcaster it was located in St Paul’s Cathedral. The town includes a non-league football club known as Stonewall FC, who play at Barn Elms Playing Fields.
Barnes Rugby Club is believed to be the oldest club in the world in any football code. They play next to the WWT London Wetlands Centre. The town is also known for rowing; the loop of the Thames surrounding Barnes is a part of the Championship Course made use of for the Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race.