Barnes is a district in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. It's within the north east of the borough and is positioned 5.8 miles west south west of Charing Cross.
Barnes has plenty of 1700s and 19th century buildings in the streets close to Barnes Pond, which make up Barnes Village conservation area where the majority of the mid-19th century buildings are placed. Around the east riverside, there is the WWT London Wetland Centre which adjoins a number of fields for 3 main national team sports.
The town used to be part of Surrey, and it appears inside the Domesday book as ‘Berne’. Barnes’ village church was built in between 1100 and 1150 and named the Chapel of St Mary’s. It was extended in the early thirteenth century, and was added to once more in 1786. A large fire destroyed components of the extensions to the church in 1978, so restoration work was completed in 1984.
Barnes includes a lot of sporting history spanning decades. In football, a High Master of St Paul’s School, Richard Mulcaster, is recognised with turning mob football into a refereed team sport. The school sits on Lonsdale Road, but in the time of Mulcaster it was located in St Paul’s Cathedral. The town features a non-league football team known as Stonewall FC, who play at Barn Elms Playing Fields.
Barnes Rugby Club is assumed to be the oldest club in the world in any football code. They play next to the WWT London Wetlands Centre. The town is also identified for rowing; the loop of the Thames surrounding Barnes is a part of the Championship Course used for the Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race.