The London Borough of Lewisham is a London borough in south-east London, England and forms part of Inner London. The borough wasestablished in 1965, by the London Government Act 1963, as an amalgamation of the former location of the Metropolitan Borough of Lewisham along with the Metropolitan Borough of Deptford, which had been created in 1900 as divisions of the County of London. Nevertheless, minor boundary modifications have occurred since its creation. One of the most substantial amendments were made in 1996, when the former area of the Royal Docks in Deptford was transferred from the London Borough of Greenwich.
The local authority is Lewisham London Borough Council and it's primarily based in Catford. The borough covers a total area of about 13.57 square miles. It's enclosed by the Royal Borough of Greenwich to the east, the London Borough of Bromley to the south plus the London Borough of Southwark to the west. The River Thames forms a short section of northern boundary with the Isle of Dogs in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. Deptford Creek, Pool River, River Quaggy and River Ravensbourne pass by means of the borough.
In line with population estimates produced during 2014, Lewisham is a borough with about 291933 permanent residents. Main landmarks include All Saints Church in Blackheath, the Citibank Tower in Lewisham and Dietrich Bonhoeffer Church. The Prime Meridian passes through Lewisham. Blackheath, Goldsmiths, University of London and Millwall F.C. are situated within the borough.