The London Borough of Lewisham is a London borough in south-east London, England and forms a part of Inner London. The borough wascreated in 1965, by the London Government Act 1963, as an amalgamation of the former area of the Metropolitan Borough of Lewisham plus the Metropolitan Borough of Deptford, which had been established in 1900 as divisions of the County of London. Nevertheless, minor boundary adjustments have occurred since its creation. The most significant amendments were made in 1996, when the previous part of the Royal Docks in Deptford was transferred from the London Borough of Greenwich.
The local authority is Lewisham London Borough Council and it is based in Catford. The borough covers a total area of about 13.57 square miles. It is enclosed by the Royal Borough of Greenwich to the east, the London Borough of Bromley towards the south plus the London Borough of Southwark towards the west. The River Thames forms a short section of northern boundary together with the Isle of Dogs in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. Deptford Creek, Pool River, River Quaggy and River Ravensbourne pass through the borough.
According to population estimates made in the middle of 2014, Lewisham is a borough with approximately 291933 permanent residents. About 43 per cent of homes are owner-occupiers. The Prime Meridian passes through Lewisham. Blackheath, Goldsmiths, University of London and Millwall F.C. are located inside the borough.