Southwell is a town in Nottinghamshire, England, the site of Southwell Minster, the cathedral of the Anglican Diocese of Southwell as well as Nottingham covering Nottinghamshire. Its population of under 7,000 enhanced to 7,297 at the 2011 Census. The origin of the name is uncertain. The community lies on the River Greet, concerning 14 miles (22 km) north-east of Nottingham. Various other historic buildings consist of the prebendal houses in Church Street and Westgate, as well as the Methodist church, which has a right of means running under it, to make sure that the top floor seats more than the reduced. The workhouse, constructed in 1824, was a prototype for numerous others. It is owned by the National Trust as well as shows its look and also conditions in the 19th century. Behind the Minster is a partially wrecked royal residence, as soon as a house of the Archbishop of York. It consists of the recently recovered State Chamber, Cardinal Wolsey's previous dining-room, and yards amongst the ruins.