Bedfont is a district in the London Borough of Hounslow in West London. It is 13 miles west-southwest of Charing Cross and 2 miles from Heathrow Airport. It consists of the area that is informally called North Feltham and also the neighbourhood of Hatton.
Bedfont is referred to within the Domesday Book as ‘Bedefunde’, which is thought to derive from the Anglo-Saxon word ‘Bedfunta’, which means ‘bed’s spring’. It states that the manors of Bedfont, Hatton and Stanmore had been all held by William Fitz Other. Before Heathrow’s Terminal Five was constructed, just a couple of miles north of Bedfont, archaeologists found Bronze Age, Iron Age and Roman artefacts, suggesting that people had been living in and around Bedfont in these times.
The citizenry of Bedfont stood at 12,701 in the 2011 census. The number of inhabitants started to increase when Heathrow Airport was opened in 1946. This triggered growing demand for local housing, particularly as the village of Heathrow was lost together with part of the Hamlet of Hatton.
Bedfont has two surviving manor houses: Pates Manor, once owned by the Page family, and Fawns Manor. Pates Manor is behind the Church of St Mary the Virgin and dates from the late 15th century. Fawns Manor is on the south side of the Green and dates back to the sixteenth century, now belonging to the British Airways Housing Association.