Warlingham is a town in the Tandridge district of Surrey, England, 14.2 miles (22.9 kilometres) south of the centre of London and 22.3 miles (35.9 km) eastern of the county town, Guildford. Warlingham is the centre of a civil parish that includes Hamsey Green, an adjoining, smaller settlement to the north. Caterham is the local community, 2.0 miles (3.2 kilometres) to the southwest. The name suggests the home(stead) (-ham) of the fans (-(l)ing) of Waer(l)a. The letters "ae" here are the suggested earlier punctuation of any Anglo-Saxon scribes to represent the audios, which when Norman scribes replaced them was changed with "a" as in today's orthography. No trace of a local Warra or Warla has been located in Norman texts (after 1066), neither of a Waera or Waera in Anglo-Saxon messages (prior to 1066). It is a male's name of the period which has a comparator in Warrington. Today, a lot of Warlingham's working-age population works in Croydon or central London, making Warlingham part of the London commuter belt.