Wingate is a village in County Durham, England. Wingate is a former pit town with a mix of 19th-century, post-war, and also a lot more recent housing developments. It was originally lived in by around 30 farmers prior to 1839 when coal was found. It lies in the East of County Durham, three miles southern west of Peterlee, and seven miles north west of Hartlepool. As with many villages in the location, it proliferated with the advancement of coal-mining in the area. The name Wingate is stated to originate from the Anglo-Saxon words windig (windy) and also geat (road) definition windy road. Like all County Durham villages, homeowners are understood to speak the pitmatic dialect although brand-new housing developments has seen a sharp increase in the village's population. A selecting ward in the exact same name exists. This ward stretches north eastern to Peterlee and has a complete population, taken at the 2011 census, of 10,302.