Y Felinheli, formerly known in English as Port Dinorwic, is a town, area as well as selecting ward next to the Menai Strait in between Bangor as well as Caernarfon in Gwynedd, north-west Wales. The population of the town was 2,284 at the 2011 Census. Y Felinheli has its origins in 2 hamlets, Tafarngrisiau near St Mary's Church as well as Aberpwll to the north-east where there was a mill on the Afon Heulyn. The mill was reconstructed closer to the sea in 1633 and provided its name to the settlement. The location was mostly farming till the location was transformed by slate quarrying in the 19th century. A new dock was constructed in 1828 when lime was extracted at Brynadda and slate as well as lime were filled as well as culm (coal dust or anthracite slack) was brought in to discharge the lime kilns. The owners of the Vaynol Estate, the Assheton Smiths, owned the majority of the land in Y Felinheli as well as developed the Dinorwic Quarry in the late 18th century, They likewise constructed the harbour to export slate moved to the quay by the Dinorwic Railway, a slim gauge railway that was ultimately changed by the Padarn Railway. Industrial growth offered Y Felinheli (Felin-hely, 1838) the alternate name Port Dinorwig or Port Dinorwic.